Right now, it’s the peak of summer, with scorching heat, in India. Literally the temperature goes vertical almost every day. Tanning is one of the major problems we face during the summer as we cannot cover all parts of our body while going out. Tanning is the natural reaction of the body to protect the inner layers of skin against harmful effects of the rays by producing melanin pigment.
Tan can be more effectively treated with homemade natural remedies and it is better than chemical quick fixes. I tried various homemade packs last summer and this summer too, I have experimented with plenty of concoctions for skin improvement and I found these five recipes to be most effective if used regularly.
As result may vary from person to person. You can try and stick to any one of the packs which suits you most or you can use them alternately. All these face packs contain few basic kitchen ingredients which make them easy to prepare at home. One more thing we all face is the time constraint for putting a face pack and then waiting for it to dry for proper effect. One trick is to put your face mask whenever you are engaged in some personal household works which has the dual effect of saving time as well as keeping you cool during the summer and removing the tank at the same time.
1. Oatmeal Yoghurt Pack
- Oats have been used since ancient times for skin care by Arabs and Egyptians. Greeks and Romans used to take a bath using oatmeal for skin care.
- It is hypoallergenic and has anti inflammatory properties.
- It brightens up the skin by removing dead cells through gentle exfoliation.
- It has the characteristic of reducing pore sizes and improving the overall tone and texture of the skin.
- It contains at least 18 amino acids, thus providing nourishment to the skin.
- Yogurt is full of protein, calcium, vitamins etc.
- It is a very good source of lactic acid which is useful for revitalizing the skin
- A source of vivid and youthful looks.
Method of Preparation
- Put oats into the blender to make a powder
- Soak the oats into the curd
- Add a little honey to make a paste
- Now apply it on the face
- Wait for 20 minutes
- Wash it with cold water
|2. Potato Lemon Pack|
- Potatoes are a convenient treatment for tanned skin as it contains large quantities of vitamin C.
- Potatoes are known to smoothen the wrinkles and reduce the tan because of its inherent anti-inflammatory properties.
- If used in the right proportion with lemon juice, potato pack is proven to lighten up the skin tone.
- Lemon juice is one of the universal remedy for lightening the skin since ages.
- Since it is packed with citric, ascorbic acid and of course vitamin C, it acts as a natural bleaching agent for the skin.
How to prepare the potato, lemon pack
- Peel a potato and cut it in small pieces
- Blend it in a blender till it becomes a smooth paste
- Now mix lemon juice (potato paste 3 parts and lemon juice 1part) in a ratio of 3:1
- Apply it and leave on for 30 minutes for best results
- Wash with normal water.
- 3.Green Tea Rice Flour Pack
- Green tea has an impressive list of ingredients which can benefit the skin in the long way.
- It contains high amount of antioxidants.
- It gives lots of sun protection benefits when applied topically.
- It reduces the tan because of its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Rice flour is used by Asian women for centuries and they are known for their smooth and flawless skin.
- Rice contains para amino benzoic acid, allantoin and frolic acid.
- Allantoin is a very good anti-inflammatory agent. It soothes the skin and promotes its repair.
- Frolic acid provides all the benefits of an antioxidant.
- Para amino benzoic acid is a very good natural sunscreen.
Method of preparation of the mask
- Heat some water and add a teaspoonful of green tea
- Alternatively, you can soak two tea bags in hot water and let it cool
- Now make a smooth paste of this green tea with a spoonful of rice flour
- Keep it refrigerated for some time
- Apply on face, let it dry
- Wash with mild cold water
- 4.Fuller Earth Cucumber and Rose Water Pack
- This is one of the most soothing pack. It cools down and relaxes the tanned skin.
- We all know that cucumber is very useful for treatment of hyperpigmentation and tan as its hydrating properties provides the required moisturisation to the skin.
- Cucumbers have almost the same PH. As skin, therefore they protect the skin and ward off impurities.
- It is packed with vitamin C and caffeic acid, which soothe the irritated skin.
- Fuller’s earth or Multani Mitti contains various minerals like magnesium, iron, calcium and calcite.
- It has oil absorbing, cleansing and antiseptic agents.
- Rose water has anti-inflammatory properties and helps irritated skin by acting as a cleanser to remove the dirt from the clogged pores.
- Adding rose water in this pack enhances the de-tanning properties of the pack
Method of preparation
- Cut cucumber in small pieces
- Mix it well in a blender and add a few drops of rose water and
- Add Multani mitti powder slowly to achieve the desired consistency
- Apply it and let it dry
- Red Lentil Raw Milk Pack
- When I was a teenager, I went wacky about every spot on my skin. I wanted to use all the options available in the market to have a flawless complexion. My grandmother suggested this pack and believe me, if used regularly, it gives an unblemished skin.
- Red Lentils are a protein rich ingredient which removes the dead skin.
- It creates a smoother and tighter skin texture because of its constitutional and exfoliating properties.
- Raw milk is rich in a variety of vitamins and nutrients and above all it contains lactic acid.
- It acts as an excellent cleanser, an Exfoliator and soother of sunburned skin.
- It has a gleaming effect on the skin tone.
Method of preparation
- Soak a teaspoon full of red lentils in raw milk for five to six hours or Overnight (you can also use the red lentil powder)
- After the lentils are well soaked and soft, make a smooth paste,
- If you want to exfoliate your skin keep the past little rough
- Apply on the face and let it dry
- Wash with a little cold water and
- Enjoy the glow.