Shalwar-Kameez : Traditional but Modernized
Shalwar-kameez is one of the most popular wear in India and Pakistan. In India it was a traditional wear in Punjab and in the western parts of Uttar Pradesh (UP). But the situation has changed now.With many modified, improved and contemporary versions, it is now almost worn all over the country. Due to the introduction of fashion and style concepts coupled with latest wide choice versions, it has become favorite of many of the women population. We have to admit that because of the comfort matching merrily with style, Shalwar-Kameez has taken a prominent place in the wardrobe of our women folks.
It Can Make You Look Gorgeous Instantly…
A Shalwar-Kameez can be very comfortable, practical and at the same time be very decorative. It has the magic formula to make you look gorgeous instantly also. A Shalwar-Kameez consists of a kameez and a Shalwar. A Shalwar is a loose pant and kameez is a long tunic. It is worn traditionally with a Dupatta which is a kind of a long scarf.
Use Creativity to Create Something Stylish…
You can always use your creativity to design something stylish by using few basics from your wardrobe. You can mix and match and create styles which can stand out. Let me confess that Shalwar-Kameez is a kind of outfit which gives lot of scopes to experiment. If the outfit is looking very plain, you can try adding a little theatricalsby using heavy Dupatta or you can just change the bottom of a Shalwar-Kameez dress and can make it look very contemporary.
Key is to Accessorize Wisely
- Over-embellished Shalwar-Kameez are difficult to wear in summer season and are only suitable for party wear
- It is advisable to invest in something which can be worn on different occasions
- A point to note is that it should not make you look overdressed on any occasion
- You can team up your well fitted simple Shalwar-Kameez with a statement jewellery piece to stand out
- A pair of contemporary chunky earrings or neck piece can completely change the outlook of your outfit
Choose the Sleeves
Choosing the sleeves according to the body shape is also important in choosing the right type of Shalwar- Kameez for yourself.
- If you have flabby arms go for full sleeves or 3/4 sleeves
- A kameez with a little long length of sleeves will make your arms look toned and slim
- If you have thin and well-toned arms you can go for short sleeves or even sleeveless
Select Your Footwear Accordingly
you can team up your Shalwar-Kameez with a variety of footwear. Here are few options.
- Flat Chappals (Slipper) and Jutis (a kind of traditional Indian shoe) go very well with both Patiala Shalwar as well as Churidars
- Opt for Kolhapuri embroidered flat Chappals which are very suitable for regular use as well as very durable and comfortable
- High heel footwear and stilettos look good with flared pants as well as Churidars. Very suitable for formal occasions and provide the appropriate height to the wearer
Embrace the Correct Fabric and Colour
Choose the Colour of the Shalwar-Kameez according to your complexion and your body shape.
- As a rule of thumb, dark colours will make you look slimmer
- Maroon, dark blue and black Color will make you look slim.
- Pastel colour will look good on slim people
- Try to choose a colour which complements your complexion
Choosing the correct fabric will help you in flaunting whatever you want to flaunt and hiding whatever you want to hide.
- Light fabric which has a good fall quality will make you look thin
- Stiff fabrics normally don’t accentuate the figure and will make you look bulky
- Thick silks and tissue net tend to remain stiff, rigid and creaky. It doesn’t give a proper shape to the body
Go for the Correct Length
Choosing the correct length of the kameez is a sine qua non for getting the desired look.
- Long kameez are in trend now and looks very good with churidar or with cigarette pants or crop pants or Sharara pants but not with the shalwar
- If you are choosing the kameez with a knee length you can opt for normal or Patiala Shalwar.
- if you are a tall, long kameez will look more defined on you compared to the people with a lesser height
- Knee length kameez is a safe option for people with less height as well as for the people with the average height.
Prefer the Right Style and Right Fit
There are a number of styles available around nowadays. You have to choose and select the style according to your body type.
- Anarkali or Flared kameez will look good on tall and thin people
- Simple conventional cuts look good on all.
- You can give the conventional outfits a modern trendy twist by teaming it up with a fashionable pant and a stylish Dupatta.
- There are a number of styles of pants available in the market like Churidars, Ciggrette pants, Flared pants, Capris pants etc.
- You can choose the bottom according to your kameez style
After selection of the style, the other important task is to see that your chosen Shalwar-Kameez fits you correctly and appropriately.
- Always buy a correct fit
- It should never be too tight or too loose on your body
- Remember that it should not cling to your body too uncomfortably
- There should always be some breathing space
It is wise to keep in mind that whatever is in fashion or whatever is trendy may not always look good on you. So choose, pick and select the right outfit which can accentuate and underline your positive features and very gracefully hide and dull the flaws.